Saturday, June 9, 2007

Garden Lessons

This is the west side of my garden. The perennials are Bergamont, Borage, Lambs Ear, Chive, Pennyroyal, Sage, Bachelor Button, Iris and Angelica. The arborvitaes serve as a border and protect the area from winter winds.
I remember when my husband and I planted this garden and how bare it seemed. I checked for growth daily and felt good to see bees and birds making use of our efforts.
They say every thing you need to learn can be taught by nature. I was impatient when the garden was first created to see blooms and lush foliage.....and now that I have it, I'm ten years older and lack energy to be impatient about such things as wanting more flowers. I have learned to appreciate the present conditions of my life.
It's good to want to create a beautiful garden. It's even better if you can sit and watch the bees on your bergamont and understand how wonderful it really is to be sitting in the sun, watching nature and seeing beauty.
There is a small oak tree in the southeast corner, right behind the wild geranium plant. This tree is decked out in all sorts of shiny pieces of wind chimes, glass, beads, etc.
I call it my magical tree and I try to keep all the strings that hold shiny objects from becoming tangled because I have this belief if they are all untangled, my ability to communicate will be untangled as well.
Who was it that said, "if birds sing after a storm, why shouldn't we?" Eleanor Roosevelt? I'm not sure. But after a storm, I check my magic tree, untangle it's strings and smile knowing that I can survive storms and STILL sing.
This is the top of a fountain we purchased last year. The water pours over the four faces and reminds me of how it feels to take a shower. I just fell in love with the four face thing, one for each direction. And being such a symbolic person (I even dream in symbols!) the statue reminds me of my gaurdian angel who watches my back, sides and front.
Thanks for reading my blog. Remember, if you pray for peace, you have to be an instrument of peace to give your prayer wings.
Blessings to you:)

No comments: