Friday, October 31, 2008

Advice from Henry

Thoreau's inner voice told him:
"Go fish and hunt far and wide day by day, farther, wider, and rest thee by many brooks and hearth-sides without misgiving. Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth. Rise free from care before the dawn and seek adventures. Grow wild according to they nature....let not to get a living by thy trade, but by thy sport. Enjoy the land, but do not own it. We should come home from far, from adventures, and perils, and discoveries every day, with new experience and character".
That sounds good to me as I sit here munching on M&M's and sipping a McDonald's coffee, typing and knowing that this day, with it's blue blue sky and bright sun, will pass quickly.
I did venture into town, got birdseed and peoplefeed, did outside chores and cleaned up the house.
Yet, I still feel anxious.
It eases up when I go outside, so I think I'll cut this short. I just read in the paper that this is the time of year to hoe your garden, so the weeds do not have a chance to seed and spread, getting a toehold for next year.
The cabbage I planted way too late, can stay though, (for the sake of color.)
Did I tell you I painted my kitchen the color of a Granny Smith Apple?
Well, I did. It took a few days for me to honestly say it works.
And with regard to the election coming up, of which I am totally disgusted and sick of, I'll end with one more quote from Henry:
"I was never molested by any person but those who represented the State."
And that was 163 years ago.
Nothing's changed.

No comments: