Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dark Fun

To embrace an early summer morning, you must wake up really early, around 5am and go outside barefooted. Look about, listen and feel. It's so magical. I was so enthralled with looking at everything I almost walked face first into this spider's web!
The moon and fog changed the familiarity of my yard. Trying to figure what side of the fence that dark blob was...... I wasn't quite sure if that was Betty (the sheep), or a deer. Softly I spoke her name and she came near, then out of the fog, I could see Nancy (the horse) slowly walking towards us. They're so sweet and must have woke early too. May as well get their breakfast.
The barn was chock full of quiet. The birds who roost there must have been up early too getting that unlucky early worm.
I thought about how much I miss sleeping through these wee hours of the morning and missing years of experiences that are pleasant and stay with you, in a good way.
Every hour in the darkness holds it's own magic, doesn't it? I figure since the days go by so darn fast, why not get a hold of some of these other hours?
Oh yeah, I'm sleeping.
" The morning, which is the most memorable season of the day, is the awakening hour, at least, some part of us awakes which slumbers all the rest of the day and night."
_Henry David Thoreau

2 comments:

Moonchild Dancing! said...

Oooh, your good. It's kind of tough to be up that early and a little spooky sometimes. I'm glad that you embraced the beauty and the peace of it all. Even more fun you were barefoot! I have to agree truly tho that those very early mornings are the best ever!

Unknown said...

Beautiful blooms! The last are the sweetest when you don't know when you'll see them again. Your watermelon also looks scrumptious. It's a genius fruit. I got one at the beginning of Summer and ate it for a whole week! :-)
Thank you for your lovely entry!